Got home from going out to breakfast plus a half hour walk. Thought I had nothing else to do today. Had milled grain sitting around from a postponed batch, so I decided to brew up a Wee Heavy. Except this wee heavy is going to have an American twinge to it. This was probably the most grain I’ve ever used at one time. All approximately 20 pounds of grain went into the mash tun with 5 gallons of water. My temp was right around 154, but I did not have complete conversion. I added another gallon to bump the temp up and let it sit for another 30 min. This time was good. I got about 3 gallons in the brew pot and added 5 more gallons to the tun for the sparge. After an hour, I drained off about another 3 gallons and began the boil. While that started I added another gallon of water to the mash and let that sit. My first runnings were 1.093 at 140 deg with refactometer. To start the boil I had a 1.080 initial reading on the refractometer. Below is the recipe. I had some business to conduct so the boil went a little over 1 hour. I also pulled off another gallon from the tun and boiled that separately.
- 18# Marris Otter
- 1# Crystal 40
- 1# Munich Light
- 8 oz Special B
- 2 oz Roasted Barley
- 1 oz Nugget (14.9% AA) at 60 min
- 3/8 oz Fuggles (4.2%) at 60 min
- 1 oz Hallertau (2.7%) at 20 min
- 3 gallon freezer bags full of homegrown Cascade and Nugget hops at 15 min
Did not get done with the boil until around 7:00 PM and had plans to go out. So, I stuck the brew pot in an ice bath after the wife helped me squeeze wort out of the bag of hop cones. Got home at around midnight. Due to the boil and use of whole cone (or miscalulations) I ended up with only 4 gallons, so I had to add the gallon from the separate boil. This may knock down the IBUs. I pitched Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast. OG was 1.090.
Update 4/3: Bottled after 6 days of dry-hopping with 1 oz of Cascade pellets. Had to use detrose and DME. FG 1.018 so about 9.5% ABV. End of the bottling bucket was fruity, smokey/spicy and bitter.